hikes in Yosemite National Park
hikes in Yosemite National Park
If you're looking for the best Yosemite hikes, keep reading! Yosemite National Park is one of the world’s most famous mountain parks, and for good reason – it’s magnificent. The park is packed full of incredible hiking trails, so it’s tough to find the 10 best, but we have handpicked the best Yosemite day hikes for you.
The best way to explore Yosemite is on foot, so finding the best hiking trails in Yosemite is an important part of planning your next trip. Whether you are looking for epic hikes to mountain tops, or are looking for a hike in Yosemite you can do with your kids, we share our favourite hikes below.
Yosemite hiking trails are exceptional, and we’ve made it easy to plan your next trip by sharing what we think are the 10 best Yosemite trails the park has to offer!
- Panorama Trail (Mist Trail to Panorama Trail to 4-Mile Trail) (14.6mi, 4183ft, 7-9.5h): Not only the best hike in Yosemite, but one of the best hikes in the US. This exceptional Yosemite hike encompasses all that is great in Yosemite, including the stunning Mist Trail past Vernal and Nevada Falls. The Panorama Trail connects to Glacier Point and gives spectacular views in all directions. Heading down by the 4.0mi trail provides unparalleled views of Yosemite Falls and the Valley.
- Mount Dana (5.3mi, 3084ft, 4.5-6h): We love getting to the summit of Mount Dana! This great hike off of Yosemite's Tioga Road gets you up high but without any scrambling. The views from the summit are unbelievable. This is one of Yosemite's best hikes for peak baggers.
- Mount Hoffman (6.5mi, 2067ft, 4.5-7h): Another great hike in Yosemite, Mount Hoffman was said by John Muir to have the best views in all of Yosemite – we’re inclined to agree. This hike makes for a magnificent day out in Yosemite, though route finding can be challenging.
- Sentinel Dome to Glacier Point (2.9mi, 804ft, 1.5h): The first time we hiked to Glacier Point we could hardly believe it – the view is incredible! This classic Yosemite hike is a great, one-way trail that provides excellent scenery from two iconic parts of Yosemite.
- The Mist Trail (8.4mi, 2247ft, 3-6h): The hike up the Mist Trail is another classic hike in Yosemite. This is a great hike, and we had so much fun we were laughing in disbelief at one point. A hot day made all the mist a real pleasure and the views are jaw dropping! This is a great hike for families with older kids.
- Yosemite Valley (7.2mi, 164ft, 1-6h): Many people dismiss walking through the Yosemite Valley, however this is a great family hike. It's actually one of the best easy hikes in Yosemite. Hiking through Yosemite Valley gives you the time to stop and appreciate the incredible views that you only get a glimpse of from your car.
- Clouds Rest (12.6mi, 3035ft, 7-9h): The fun hike of Clouds Rest brings you to what many believe is the best view of Half Dome in Yosemite. We love the trail and it absolutely feels like a real adventure. The only downside is the good cell service at the top, which means there are a lot of people Facetiming friends.
- Cathedral Lakes (7.3mi, 1299ft, 3-5h): While the hike up to Cathedral Lakes is only average, the lakes themselves may be the most perfect, spectacular mountain lakes in all of Yosemite National Park. Bring a lunch and plan on spending the day exploring the area.
- Lembert Dome (4.0mi, 935ft, 1.5-2.5h): This hike near Tuolumne Meadows is a great way to get a summit in Yosemite without a long journey. We love the views, though some complain the way up is a bit too steep.
- Yosemite Falls (6.0mi, 1903ft, 3-5h): Don’t hike to the top on this classic hike in Yosemite. Instead, the route we recommend takes in the Lower Falls then halfway up to the Upper Falls. This gives you the best views for less effort. A great day out!
The best hikes in Yosemite National Park
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.