The Mist Trail
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
We love The Mist Trail in Yosemite National Park. This hike takes you to Vernal and Nevada Falls where the refreshing cool down on hot days is incredible. There are also many options to shorten this hike, suitable for all levels, without the need to go to the top.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for The Mist Trail
Begin the hike by heading up the world-famous Mist Trail. Follow the signs along the road, passing the campground on your left. Soon you are ascending a well-marked trail. This is a very wide trail and is even paved up until the first bridge and the adjacent washrooms. The path is too steep to take a stroller, unless you are an extremely fit parent.
After the bridge (where there is water and washrooms) you will have views looking up at Vernal Falls as you ascend a steep stone staircase. In big snow years the falls can get very wet, and the “mist” turns into a soaking rainstorm. Be prepared to get completely drenched. This is a definite plus on hot days (or on long camping trips without showers) but can be dangerous if doing the hike early or late in the season or in colder weather.
From the top you can look down the gorge and up to Nevada Falls. After Vernal Falls, continue going up some long switchbacks and gain more elevation. The trail is well marked and fairly uneventful. Getting to Nevada Falls gives wonderful views and a great place for a meal in the sun.
The best part of this hike is that no matter how far you go it is absolutely spectacular. So don’t worry if you’re tired and turn back early!
Insider Hints for The Mist Trail
- Take a poncho and put your electronics into your bag if the falls are really flowing!
- If you didn’t get enough water on the trail, head over to Curry Village and go for a swim in the public pool!
Getting to the The Mist Trail Trailhead
Drive to the eastern end of Yosemite Valley and park in Happy Isle Loop parking lot. The YARTS bus can get you closer though!
The Mist Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
The Mist Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Mirror Lake via Shuttle Stop #17
- East Valley Floor Trail
- Vernal Falls and Clark Point Hike
- Yosemite Grand Tour
- Diving Board Hike
- Mirror Lake, Snow Creek, and Upper Yosemite Falls Loop
- Valley Loop Trail to Mirror Lake
- Vernal, Nevada, and Illilouette Falls Hike
- Nevada Falls Hike
- Vernal Falls Trail
- Half Dome Trail
- Panorama Trail