Disclosure: This post contains references to products or services from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you buy one of these products or services. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To make it easy to plan your trip, here is a packing list for your next backpacking adventure. Below are all the items we make sure to bring along.
- Backpack – good quality with hip belt. Ideally fitted to your body
- Industrial garbage bag (use inside your bag to keep everything dry)
- First aid kit
- Duct tape (roll some around your water bottle or hiking pole to save space & weight)
- Swiss Army Knife or multi-tool
- Reflective blanket
- Bear spray
- Extra batteries
- Waterproof Matches
- Emergency Whistle
- Hiking clothes
- Underwear & socks
- Warm layers
- Down coat
- Hat & mitts
- Rain jacket & rain pants
- Hand sanitiser
- Ziploc bags
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Bug spray
- Pack towel
Deodorant (more for those you’re backpacking with)
Meals, separated for each day.
- Ultra-light emergency food for 1 day
- Water purification of some sort (tablets, filter, drops)
- Platypus water bladder
- Bear Canister (where required)
Canoeing dry-bag (for food storage)
- Pot/s for cooking.
- Waterproof matches or lighter
- Scrubbie & pot scraper
- Camp soap
- Garbage bags
- Water filter/treatment
Tent – make sure you have all the parts – yes, we’ve been in the backcountry without our fly!
- Sleeping mat
- Sleeping bag
- Camp pillow or stuffable pillow case
Hydration bladder or water bottle
- Rain cover for backpack (can be removed if you take a garbage bag as a liner)
- Flip flops
Smartphone with some music, eBooks, maps
- Back-up battery pack to charge your smartphone
- Small axe to cut wood (where fires are allowed)
Red wine, transferred to a plastic water bottle
This article is part of a series of articles for beginner backpackers. You can see other articles here:
- Where should I go?
- How can I stay safe while backpacking?
- How do I stay warm while backpacking?
- What do I drink?
- How do I pack my backpack?