hikes in Denver
If you want to find a hike near Denver, you're in luck, as we share the best hikes near Denver below. The best hiking trails around Denver include fun walks in Denver itself as well as epic summits in the front ranges.
These hiking trails are also popular with horseback riders, mountain bikers, and the occasional leashed dog. The mile-high city certainly is adventurer friendly.
The best hikes near Denver cover a spectrum of sights. These hikes do more than just offer some rivers and peaks. On Denver’s top hikes you can see old castles, elk, deer, one of the country’s best amphitheaters, and even an enchanted forest. Check out this list. We don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Check out our list of the top hikes around Denver below.
THE TOP 10 HIKES AROUND DENVER, COLORADO
- Chicago Lakes (17.1km, 845m, 5-7h): The Chicago Lakes hike is a stunning hike in the front-ranges west of Denver. With epic views and pretty lakes, this is our favourite hike near Denver.
- Grays & Torreys (12.7km, 1073m, 6-7h): The hike to Grays and Torreys Peaks is a popular way to hike two 14ers in one day. The route up Grays and Torreys offers some technical challenge, so this is not a route for beginners.
- Mount Bierstadt (11.6km, 824m, 5.5-7h): The Mount Bierstadt hike is a popular introduction to hiking a Colorado 14er. It’s easy to see why this is such a popular hike near Denver, as you have great views.
- Mount Evans (8.9km, 430m, 3-5h): Many feel that the Mount Evans hike, near Denver, is the easiest 14er in Colorado. While that is debateable, it is a great hike, with stunning views.
- St. Mary’s Glacier (2.3km, 132m, 1-2h): The hike to St. Mary’s Glacier near Denver is a great, easy hike, suitable for a family day out.
- Beaver Brook to Chavez Trail Loop (8.3km, 383m, 2.5-3.5h): Adventure is the nature of this great hike near Denver! Experience the best of all Colorado trails rolled into one scenic walk…hills, rocks, wildflowers, animals, river crossings and more!
- Lair o’ the Bear Park – Bear Creek Trail to Panorama Point (11.6km, 335m, 3-4.5h): This is a classic Denver Hike. Lair o’ the Bear Park provides a great hike through the forest and beautiful views of the snow-capped peaks. This walk also holds a secret: views of the beautifully restored Dunafon Castle!
- Centennial Cone Park – Mayhem Gulch Trail (7.7km, 348m, 2-4h): Encompassing over 24.1km of multi-use trails, Centennial Cone encompasses the beauty of Clear Creek Canyon with a backcountry feel. It’s a popular trail with locals from Denver, and if you hike it yourself, you’ll understand why!
- Red Rocks Park (2.4km, 120m, 1-1.5h): Hike around, over and through the beautiful sandstone red rocks that make up the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater. If you’re lucky, stay for a concert in one of the most amazing venues in Colorado! We can’t think of a better way to finish a day hiking on one Denver’s best trails.
- Mount Falcon Park (15.1km, 557m, 5-7.5h): This challenging hike near Denver isn’t short on elevation gain; however, this trail through the Colorado woods does boast some “castle” ruins. We like to think this walk is fit to please the explorer and the history buff in all of us!
The best hikes in Denver
Yes, there are more than 10
Denver is so beautiful that we can not give you only 10 hikes. So here is a list of bonus hikes in Denver that you should take a look at as well
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.