hikes in High Tatras
The High Tatra mountain range is the most popular hiking region in Slovakia. With around 600.0km of marked trails this destination attracts lots of hiking lovers willing to visit some of the highest peaks in the Tatra Mountains.
The highest peak in the High Tatras is Gerlachovský štít (2655m) which can only be reached by experienced mountaineers, though many other hikes in the High Tatras can be accessed more easily. Mount Rysy (2503m) is one of the most popular. Being on the border, it is the highest peak in Poland and can be reached by a beautiful trail from both sides of Slovakia and Poland. Also, Mount Krivan (2542m) is worthy of honourable mention - it was called Slovakia's “most beautiful mountain” because of its curvy top.
Hiking maps of the region are very detailed, trails are well maintained and marked, and there are plenty of family-friendly trails. There are lots of beautiful waterfalls, picturesque lakes and stunning peaks overlooking the valleys of Slovakia and peaks behind the Polish border. The High Tatras mountain range is connected by a 72.0km long trail called Tatranská Magistrála (Highway of Tatras) and the most beautiful part of it (42.0km) can be trekked in 4 days. There is so much to love about the High Tatras and their popularity has been constantly on increase.
Check out these great trails in the High Tatras!
THE TOP 10 HIKES IN HIGH TATRAS, SLOVAKIA
- Popradské Pleso (9.6km, 335m, 2-3h): This classic Slovak hike that has it all – views of a beautiful valley, a fun, family-friendly trail, a picturesque lake and a great mountain chalet that serves tasty Slovak cuisine and cold beer.
- Zelené Pleso Hike (20.2km, 1393m, 6.5-8h): A long but very beautiful hike – this trail leads to amazing Green Lake in a valley surrounded by some of most beautiful peaks in the High Tatras. Visit Green Lake Chalet along the trail – food here is wonderful!
- Mlynická Dolina to Furkotská Dolina Loop (16.5km, 969m, 5.5-7h): This is a challenging trail connecting two beautiful valleys. A big waterfall, beautiful tarns and scrambling with chains on the saddle connecting both valleys – the perfect hike for adventure lovers, it is easy to follow and fun to test your scrambling skills without too much exposure!
- Štrbské Pleso Hike (2.2km, 54m, 1.5-2h): Walking around the picturesque lake on the wide, family-friendly path near the heart of one of the biggest mountain resorts in area, Štrbské Pleso will reward you with beautiful views. Calm water, ice cream and nice restaurants along the trail will guarantee a good day!
- Mount Rysy Hike (18.7km, 1435m, 7-8.5h): The Mount Rysy hike is no doubt one of the must-do hikes in the High Tatras. Being the 7th highest peak in Slovakia and 1st in Poland, Mount Rysy is an iconic hike that can be reached from both countries. Scrambling, chains and ladders, snow on summertime and some exposure will keep you entertained.
- Zamkovského Mountain Chalet Hike (6.0km, 416m, 1.5-2.5h): There are lots of things to like about this hike – waterfalls, wide family-friendly trail, beautiful valley views and refreshing stop in the forest near the mountain hut. No wonder it’s so popular!
- Nad Dlhym Vodospadem Hike (1.7km, 122m, 0.5-0.75h): This hike is really popular among families with small children! But don’t get fooled, we are certain that everybody should visit this beautiful waterfall regardless the age.
- Slavkovsky Štit Hike (12.4km, 1274m, 7.5-9h): Slavkovsky Štit Peak is called the easiest accessible peak in the High Tatras because the trail is not technical at all and is pretty straight-forward. But don’t get fooled! There’s lots of elevation and this peak will keep you busy for the better part of the day.
- Jamské Pleso Hike (10.2km, 359m, 2-3h): This is a pleasant and even family-friendly trail, away from crowds, that leads to a small lake with lots of spots for a picnic.
- Belianska Jaskyňa Hike (2.1km, 165m, 0.75-1.5h): This is a beautiful walk in the forest leading to Belianska Cave. The trail is in the eastern part of the Tatra Mountains called Belianske Tatry and has a different landscape than the rest of the mountain range.
The best hikes in High Tatras
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.