Road Biking Routes in Boulder
Boulder, Colorado is great for anything outdoors, especially road biking. The city has a cult road cycling culture unparalleled in most other cities in North America. With lots of sunshine throughout the year, you will be hard pressed to spend a day out in Boulder without seeing somebody on a bike - yes, even in winter! Cycling in Boulder means limitless routes in varied terrain, from grueling climbs to long and scenic cross country stretches. Trust us, finding an epic road bike ride in Boulder isn’t a problem. Luckily, we have compiled a list of the best road rides in Boulder below.
THE 10 BEST ROAD BIKE RIDES AROUND BOULDER, COLORADO
- Left Hand Canyon (32.7mi, 3589ft, 4-5h): Left Hand Canyon is one of the best road bike rides in Boulder and along the entire Colorado Front Range. Featuring a long steady climb along a shaded shoulder, it is the perfect way to spend a day out in Boulder.
- Flagstaff Mountain (18.0mi, 3337ft, 3-4h): Flagstaff Mountain Road is a steep and twisty mountain road that begins at the base of the iconic Boulder Flatirons. Conveniently close to downtown Boulder, and being one of the steepest roads in the area, makes this ride an experience you will never forget!
- Jamestown (16.2mi, 1270ft, 2-3h): A popular variation to the longer Left Hand Canyon, the bike ride to Jamestown takes in some of the best parts of Left Hand Canyon and continues up to a sleepy mountain town nestled in the heart of the mountains. Jamestown is a small, historic town worth a visit on its own, but combined with a great ride makes for a perfect day out in Boulder.
- Olde Stage Rd (12.0mi, 925ft, 1.5-2.5h): Olde Stage Road is the classic introduction to hill climbing in Boulder, with a relatively short and straight forward climb up the popular Front Range road and a fun descent down the backside!
- Lee Hill (17.0mi, 1709ft, 2.5-3.5h): Lee Hill is the big brother ride to Olde Stage Road, meaning this route climbs a bit higher and for a bit longer, making it a more committing ride overall while still offering a great day in the mountains!
- N 63rd St (17.3mi, 725ft , 2.5-3h): North 63rd St is the classic Boulder bike ride. This loop has gently rolling hills and mountain views! The nicely paved road with a generous shoulder is perfect for a stress-free day on the bike.
- Peak to Peak Hwy (43.6mi, 4229ft, 5-7h): The Peak to Peak Highway is a high elevation, scenic road that parallels the Continental Divide. There are multiple variations for riding the whole thing or sections of this long road; we’ve described the variation most popular with Boulder cyclists.
- US 36 to Lyons (24.1mi, 1115ft, 3-4h): US 36 to Lyons is a popular Boulder bike ride that serves as a training ground for many professional athletes; sections of this ride are a part of the official Iron Man Boulder bike course! It is for that reason that we included this ride on the Top 10 Boulder road bike rides.
- Boulder Creek Trail (11.4mi, 253ft, 2-3h): Boulder has a vast network of wonderful bike paths throughout the entire town. Boulder Creek Trail is the most scenic and continuous of all the Boulder bike paths.
- Boulder Canyon (29.5mi, 2923ft, 4-5h): Boulder Canyon is the most scenic canyon in the area and an excellent ride, but it is not for the fainthearted. Narrow shoulders, aggressive traffic, and broken concrete make this a ride for only the diehard thrill seekers that want to challenge themselves.
The best Road Biking Routes in Boulder
Are we missing your favourite Road Biking Route?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the Road Biking Route, we'd love to share your favourite Road Biking Route with the rest of the 10Adventures community.