hikes in Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park has some of the best hiking trails in North America, and a trip to Glacier National Park should be on every hikers bucket list. There are three main hiking areas in Glacier National Park, each deserving of some time: Many Glacier, Going-to-the-Sun Road and Two Medicine, all featuring incredible hikes. Although it’s tough to pick the 10 best hikes in Glacier National Park, we’ve somehow managed to do so here.
While Montana's Glacier National Park is a big park, the best hiking is in the eastern part of the park, where the mountainous landscape is spectacular. The best hikes in Glacier National Park take you to stunning geologic formations on great hiking trails. While hiking in Glacier National Park, expect to see a lot of wildlife, and it's not uncommon to see moose, bears and rocky mountain goats.
Even if you aren't a hard-core hiker, many of the best sights in Glacier National Park are best explored on foot. We share some of the best hikes in Glacier NP for families with kids below. We also share a few epic, hard-core hikes that serious hikers will love. Check out our list of the Best hikes in Glacier National Park Below.
- Grinnell Glacier (16.1km, 625m, 5-6h): This stunning hike is not only the best in Glacier National Park, it's one of the best hikes in North America. The trail leads past lakes, across vertical rock faces and sometimes through waterfalls! It all culminates in a spectacular lake, waterfall and glacier. This is truly a spectacular hike in Glacier.
- Hidden Lake Overlook (4.2km, 165m, 1-2h): This hike leads to one of the most remarkable views we have ever seen. It’s an easy trail to the viewpoint and there is often wildlife, too. This is definitely the best hike in Glacier National Park to do with your kids.
- Swiftcurrent Pass (21.9km, 820m, 6-8h): The hike up to Swiftcurrent Pass was a highlight of our recent summer in Glacier National Park. This is a real adventure with incredible views all along this hike.
- The Highline (21.4km, 705m up, 1435m down, 7-9h): This is the legendary hike in Glacier National Park that starts from the Logan Pass Visitor Centre. Quickly leaving Going-to-The-Sun Road behind grants incredible views, passing the historic Granite Park Chalet.
- Ptarmigan Tunnel (18.2km, 760m, 5-7h): This is a lovely hike in Glacier National Park, with incredible views of the surrounding mountains, especially leading up to the Tunnel. The views on the other side of the tunnel were breathtaking, too!
- Iceberg Lake (16.4km, 465m, 4-6h): A great trip up to Iceberg Lake will create hiking memories to last a lifetime. The stunning blue offset by icebergs is an exquisite sight. This is another must-do hike in Glacier NP.
- Swiftcurrent Creek and the Lakes (12.4km, 230m, 3-5h): This is one of the best moderate hikes in Glacier National Park. This trip along Swiftcurrent Creek and past Fishercap Lake and Redrock Lake is full of incredible views and has great potential to see game!
- Scenic Point (9.7km, 635m, 4-6h): Visiting the Two Medicine Area should be on every itinerary for Glacier National Park. While there, enjoy this pretty hike up to Scenic Point for a beautiful half-day hike in Glacier NP.
- Piegan Pass (14.7km, 550m, 4-6h): A great hike from the Going-to-the-Sun Road, Piegan Pass has stunning views back into the Many Glacier Area.
- St. Mary and Virginia Falls (5.8km, 190m, 1-2h): A family-friendly hike to these beautiful waterfalls is a great stop when travelling on The Going-to-the-Sun Road. This is a very popular hike in Glacier National Park.
The best hikes in Glacier National Park
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.