hikes in Grand Teton National Park
Hiking in Grand Teton National Park (GTNP) should be on everybody’s bucket list. Although GTNP isn't the biggest National Park, the hiking trails in the Tetons offer some spectacular days. The nearby town of Jackson, Wyoming is a great base to explore the canyons, lakes and trails in the Tetons.
The top hikes in Grand Teton National Park are mostly advanced so you should typically expect long days. Many of these hikes can be shortened, or changed to backpacks, and there are also some wonderful family-friendly and intermediate hikes as well. So check-out our list of the best hikes in Grand Teton National Park.
- Paintbrush Divide Hike (30.1km, 1440m, 9-12h): This long, steady climb brings you up from String Lake, through the gorgeous wildflower-filled Paintbrush Canyon and up to the most magnificent pass in the Teton Range. This classic hike in the Tetons will take the entire day, so clear your calendar!
- Hanging Canyon Hike (9.7km, 975m, 5-7h): We call this the “real” Lake Solitude because it is an unofficial trail, and thus you are unlikely to share the Lake of the Crags with many people. Good route finding skills, however, are a must for this incredible hike in the Tetons.
- Lake Solitude Hike (24.5km, 870m, 7-9h): The sister hike to Paintbrush Divide and another classic Teton hike. This hike has great rewards with minimal elevation gain. Though long, the stunning alpine Lake Solitude grants unbelievable views of Grand Teton National Park.
- Phelps Lake Hike (12.6km, 360m, 3.5-5h): With little elevation gain this is a perfect hike in GTNP for families with small children, plus there are way fewer people here than Jenny Lake. The sandy beach at the far end is perfect for a picnic and a swim.
- Garnet Canyon Hike (13.4km, 710m, 4-6h): The easiest canyon hike in the Tetons, this route will give you a taste of what longer-day trails in the area have to offer. Don’t worry, the views here are no smaller than those on other canyons.
- Colter Bay Lakeshore Trail (4.5km, 140m, 1-2h): A family-friendly hike with spectacular views of the Tetons along the lovely Jackson Lake.
- Amphitheater Lake Hike (16.9km, 1070m, 6-8h): After several switchbacks you will find yourself in the most tranquil of alpine lakes – plus the views of Grand Teton and other magnificent peaks are hard to miss!
- Inspiration Point Hike (3.8km, 235m, 1-2h): A scenic boat crossing of Jenny Lake will transport you to the start of a wonderful, short hike up to the quintessential viewpoint in the Tetons. Continuing along the first, flat part of the Cascade Canyon Trail allows for seclusion, reflection, and views up to several peaks.
- Summit Trail at Jackson Hole Ski Resort (5.2km, 90m, 1-2h): This family-friendly, scenically dense hike offers the most views per kilometer. The aerial tram ride to the top means there is almost no uphill on this great hike at Jackson Hole.
- Grand View Hike (2.8km, 180m, 0.5-1.5h): Climbing to this point across from the Tetons gives you picture perfect views of the true majesty of these mountains.
The best hikes in Grand Teton National Park
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.