Abbotts Lagoon Trail
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Abbotts Lagoon Trail is a fantastic nature walk for bird lovers and beach enthusiasts! After walking a flat trail, you can continue to walk along the pristine beach for as far as you’d like.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Abbotts Lagoon Trail
From the parking lot at the Abbott's Lagoon Trailhead, take the trail from the parking lot that heads west towards the water. The Abbotts Lagoon Trail is a clear trail and it does not split, so it is easy to follow.
As you hike on this trail, make sure to keep your eyes open for all the wildlife that is hiding around you. This is a popular bird-watchers hike.
As you come closer to the beach you cross a bridge over a small channel that connects the two sides of the lagoon. From here, walk down to the beach and enjoy the calm views.
Take some time to explore around the lagoon but don't disturb the wildlife.
After you are done exploring the beach and Lagoon head back on the Abbotts Lagoon Trail and it will take you back to your car.
You will need to pack in your own water and any trash that you create during your hike must be packed out and disposed of in the trash cans in the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Abbotts Lagoon Trail
- Bring binoculars, there are tons of birds to watch.
- The last chance for gas is at Point Reyes Station about 16.1 km before the trailhead.
- Keep your voice down as you approach the beach to avoid spooking the wildlife.
- Scan the water carefully, Otters like to use the Lagoon to raise their newborn offspring!
Getting to the Abbotts Lagoon Trail Trailhead
Head for the Abbots Lagoon Trailhead, which is just past Evans Ranch. From Point Reyes Station, take Sir Francis Drake Boulevard and go right at the split onto Pierce Point Road. Follow this road for 5.5 km, the parking lot and trailhead is on the left.
Abbotts Lagoon Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Abbotts Lagoon Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.