hikes in Canmore
hikes in Canmore
There are some great hikes around Canmore, Alberta. While often bypassed by tourists, Canmore has a great mix of family-friendly hikes as well as great, challenging hikes. Located just outside Banff National Park, and approximately 15 minutes drive from the town of Banff, Canmore serves as a gateway to both Banff and the Kananaskis.
We have found the best hikes from the front-ranges around the town of Canmore. These hikes include incredible ridge-walks, exciting summits and wonderful family-friendly strolls. Find a hike right in Canmore or on one of the nearby peaks or canyons. Check out our list of the top hikes around Canmore.
- Heart Mountain Horseshoe (11.9km, 935m, 5-7h): This is a wonderful hiking trail near Canmore, and it is many Calgarians first summit and scramble. The views from the ridge are incredible!
- Wind Ridge (13.9km, 775m, 4-6h): This fun hike actually starts near Dead Man’s flats. While it’s a bit challenging for the first 15 minutes for route-finding, once you gain the ridge the views are stunning.
- Grassi Lakes (4.0km, 185m, 1-2h): This classic family hike near Canmore is popular for a reason. Offering an easy and challenging route, this is a great hike to take with your kids.
- Ha Ling, Miner’s Peak and the Three Humps (5.3km, 885m, 3-5h): Ha Ling is an iconic Canmore hike. Rising above the town, this is a busy trail year-round. By taking in Miner’s Peak and the Three Humps make this hike even more special.
- Quarry Lake (3.0km, 15m, 1h): Quarry Lake is a Canmore secret, and hiking around this lake will keep you coming back again and again. Great for families, there are great views for such an easy trail.
- Main Street and the Canmore Engine Bridge (3.7km, 25m, 0.75-1.5h): Another local favourite hike for families. Stroll along the great shops of Canmore’s main street before walking along the Bow River to the Canmore Engine Bridge. End the hike in Riverside Park and enjoy a picnic. A great hike year-round.
- Lady MacDonald Tea House (9.2km, 905m, 4-6h): This is a popular hike that rises above Canmore. With great views, the hike to the Lady MacDonald has everything you want in a hike, but alas not a tea house, it was destroyed in 2013!
- Mt Yamnuska Circuit (10.0km, 935m, 5-6.5h): Don’t underestimate this great hike near Canmore. Hiking the circuit around Mount Yamnuska is a challenging hike, with the famous “Chain” that terrifies a fair number of hikers on this route!
- Bow River (11.8km, 60m, 1-4h): This wonderful hike takes you along the Bow River, between Three Sisters and Main Street in Canmore. With great views and well-maintained trails, this is a fun day out for families!
- Grotto Canyon (4.4km, 115m, 1.5-2.5h): The hike in Grotto Canyon is another family favourite hike near Canmore. While the famous pictographs are fading and hard to see, the family will enjoy hiking in this canyon.
The best hikes in Canmore
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.