hikes in Åre
hikes in Åre
Hiking around Åre takes you to mountains, forest, and rivers. Located in the mountain area “Jämtlandsfjällen,” it is easily accessible by air, train, and car. This is a great base to explore; with airports nearby, a train station, and easy road access, making it an easily accessible hiking get away.
Åre is a really active village with many beautiful hikes nearby. Check out our list of the Top 10 Hikes in Åre below.
We have found the best 10 hikes near Åre, in Northern Sweden, just above the 60th parallel north, roughly equivalent to Anchorage, Alaska. These hikes contain magical views with miles of mountains, easy hikes with turquoise water, and summit hikes that have breathtaking views. Most of these hikes you can do as a day hike, but there are a few you can spend a night in a mountain station, tent or a hotel.
Some of these hikes are really beautiful to do in winter as ski tours or snowshoes and in the summer with bikes or use them as a running trail. All of them are not far from civilisation but still in the wilderness.
- Blanktjärnsrundan (11.8km, 217m, 3-4h): Blanktjärnsrundan is a wonderful family hike, but also a really spectacular walk through forest with beautiful mountain views. You will find yourself in the middle of nowhere with clear turquoise water and snowy mountains in the background.
- Helagstoppen (31.8km, 1836m, 8-12h): Helgastoppen is a majestic summit hike to Swedens south glacier. This is an incredibly tough day, and is often done as an overnight at the nearby mountain station. There are good chances to spot mountain foxes and reindeers. The Helgastoppen hike is second place on National Geographic’s best hikes in the world! If you hike it, you will understand why!
- Hållvallen-Ottsjö (12.4km, 774m, 4-6h): Hållvallen-Ottsjö is a really easy but beautiful hike, from the old chalet over meadows, mires and through the forest. There is a high probability to see moose along this trail. This hike will be best if you start at “Platåleden,” there you walk over the mountain table-land.
- Mullfjället (10.9km, 590m, 4-6h): Mullfjället is a beautiful hike with majestic mountain scenes all way up to the top with 360 view. Behind small waterfalls and many mountain lakes Mullfjället is perfect for a hot summer day.
- Nulltjärnsrundan (8.6km, 161m, 2-3h): Nulltjärnsrundan is a light hike that is perfect as an introduction to the Swedish mountain nature hike. It is also a great first hike for kids, with brooks, history about the area, and halfway be welcomed by a sandy beach with mountain views.
- Platåleden-Hållvallen (15.3km, 878m, 4-6h): Platåleden-Hållvallen is probably the most beautiful of ‘easy’ hikes we have ever been on. This hike goes to an open chalet where you can overnight with a fireplace. On the way you will go over mires, brooks, and pass a mountain restaurant and an outlook tower on the middle of the mountain.
- Ristafallsrundan (10.1km, 138m, 2-3h): Ristafallsrundan is a hike with forest behind rapids, meadows and two big waterfalls with rainbows. This hike has it all, plus some history boards about the Swedish army that walked this way.
- Storulvån-Sylarna (32.9km, 1111m, 10-12h)): Storulvån-Sylarna hike takes you through open landscapes, everywhere there are mountains, rivers with clear drink able water, and good chances to see reindeers!
- Välliste Runt (9.7km, 507m, 2-4h): Välliste Runt will take you through forest and up the mountain with miles of views. Along this hike you will find many mountain flowers that grow so well in this high and cold environment. For example, the white “Isranunkel”, “Fjällglim,” and many more.
- Åreskutan (14.1km, 976m, 4-6h): Åreskutan is the most famous hike in Åre because it leads you up to the biggest mountain in the village. From the square in Åre through forest, brooks, over 3 mountain tops, above the tree line and with a 360 view on the top. You see mountains miles away, all from Norway, Härjedalen, and Sylarna.
The best hikes in Åre
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.