hikes in Åre
Hiking around Åre takes you to mountains, forest, and rivers. Located in the mountain area “Jämtlandsfjällen,” it is easily accessible by air, train, and car. This is a great base to explore; with airports nearby, a train station, and easy road access, making it an accessible hiking getaway.
Åre is a truly active village with many beautiful hikes nearby. Check out our list of the Top 10 Hikes in Åre below to discover the varying natural landscapes ready for exploration!
We have found the best 10 hikes near Åre, in Northern Sweden, just above the 60th parallel north, roughly equivalent to Anchorage, Alaska. These hikes contain magical views with miles of mountains, easy hikes with turquoise water, and summit hikes that have breathtaking views. Most of these hikes can be completed as a day hike, but there are a few you can spend a night in a mountain station, tent or hotel.
Some of these hikes are really beautiful to do in the winter as ski tours or on snowshoes. In the summer, tackle the paths by bike or use them as running trails. All of the trails are close to civilization, but still far enough into the wilderness.
10 Great Hikes in Åre
With adventures available from north to south in Åre, you’re sure to find something to suit your skill level. With landscape changing from inland lakes to boreal forests to glacier mountains––hikers will be spoilt for choice when deciding on which trail to explore. When it comes to hiking in Sweden, there’s no place quite like Åre.
- Blanktjärnsrundan: Blanktjärnsrundan is a wonderful family hike, but also a really spectacular walk through a forest with beautiful mountain views. You will find yourself in the middle of nowhere, with clear turquoise water and snowy mountains in the background.
- Helagstoppen: Helgastoppen is a majestic summit hike to Sweden's south glacier. This is an incredibly tough day, and is often done overnight with a sleeping hut at the nearby mountain station. There is a good chance you’ll spot mountain foxes and reindeers. The Helgastoppen hike is second place on National Geographic’s best hikes in the world. If you hike it, you will understand why!
- Hållvallen-Ottsjö: Hållvallen-Ottsjö is a really easy, but beautiful hike from the old chalet passing meadows, mires and boreal forests. There is a high probability to see moose along the trail.
- Mullfjället: Mullfjället is a beautiful hike with majestic mountain scenes all the way up to the top with 360-views. Nestled among small waterfalls and many mountain lakes, Mullfjället is perfect for a hot summer's day.
- Nulltjärnsrundan: Nulltjärnsrundan is a light hike that is perfect as an introduction to the Swedish mountains. It is also a great first hike for kids, with brooks, history about the area, a sandy beach and mountain views.
- Platåleden-Hållvallen: Platåleden-Hållvallen is probably the most beautiful ‘easy’ hike we have ever been on. This hike goes to an open chalet where you can overnight with a fireplace. On the way, you will hike over mires, brooks, a mountain restaurant and an outlook tower located in the middle of the mountain.
- Ristafallsrundan: Ristafallsrundan is a forest hike, passing rapids, meadows and two stunning waterfalls with rainbows. This hike has it all, plus some history boards about the Swedish army on the way.
- Storulvån-Sylarna: The Storulvån-Sylarna hike takes you through open landscapes. Everywhere you look there are mountains, rivers with clear drinkable water, and often reindeers!
- Välliste Runt: Välliste Runt will take you through the forest and up a mountain with views for miles. Along this hike you will find mountain flowers that grow well in the high altitude and cold environment. Spot the white “Isranunkel”, “Fjällglim,” and many more.
- Åreskutan: Åreskutan is the most famous hike in Åre, leading hikers up the biggest mountain in the village. From the square in Åre, walk through forests, brooks and three mountain tops to take in mountains all the way in Norway, Härjedalen, and Sylarna.
When is the Best Time to Hike in Åre
Often regarded as a fantastic year-round destination, Åre is home to incredible hiking trails that can be accessed regardless of weather. But if we had to pick, September would be our favourite month to hit the trails in Åre. Watch as the lush, Swedish mountains turn from bright green to a dazzling golden colour. As temperatures begin to drop, hiking becomes much more pleasant and you’ll find the trails far less crowded. Even better? Popular mountain restaurants and hotels no longer have long wait lists. We’ll take a pint here please!
Other Activities in Åre
There is plenty for outdoor adventurers to keep busy in Åre! One of the top recommended adventures is often hopping on a sled to try your hand at dogsledding, a sport that can be hard to find elsewhere! For a truly epic day out, why not try glacier climbing? With an axe and crampons, you’ll be climbing up ice walls in no time. Both downhill and cross-country skiing is incredibly popular in Åre and visitors will find plenty of plush ski resorts to live that après-ski life.
How to Plan a Trip to Åre
Ready to lace up those boots and explore the mountains of Åre, Sweden? Let us be your personal local guide! Discover everything you ever wanted to know about visiting Åre in our complete trip planning guide. Here at 10Adventures––we’ve got the 4-1-1.Read More
The best hikes in Åre
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.